Tuesday 17 November 2015

New | Week 8

Week 8. The week where we have a chance to create our hybrids a week in advance incase anything did go wrong. Although I was happy that we were able to create our hybrids again incase it went wrong, however it did mean that I still had a lot to do for it and very little time. I was fortunate enough to come in on the Monday during the other classes special effects to be able to create the baldiez mixture which would make the mould come out easier. Our first attempt at it was not so good in fact it is was so hard to get the mixture right especially if you have never done it before. The mixture came out watery and we both knew that was not right as it is meant to have a thicker consistency. We then tried to make a another mixture and it went a lot better than the first although I think there was still room for improvement for it as it was a little bit watery still not a lot but enough to affect out moulds when pulling them out, which I will get too in a minute.

Once that was dry the next thing to do is make the silicone mould, which when I made it was fine as I have done it before so I was not worried about it at all, however I wanted to make my horns what and as I squeezed some of the pigment pot quite a bit of it came out white, which was a big deal it was just annoying at how white they came out as I didn't want them that bright. Because I made my horn moulds in the last lesson before all I had to do was add the silicone mould to it and let it set. I didn't have enough time to make my gills mould, so this is something I had to do today, regardless of what time it was I needed to get it done. It was all going swimmingly, the silicone cast thing had set I removed the sculpture fine, then I put on the baldiez mixture and it wasn't until I had finished applying two layers that I realised that I forgot to spray petrol-ease on the mould so that it would be easier when taking it out. So I had to start again, it wasn't that big of a deal as it was just a baldiez  layer that needed to be taken off, then I had to make the silicone piece. Measuring out silicone A was a doddle. Then it was time for silicone B, by the time I was ready to measure that out the scales had turned off and when it was back on it was reading a different number so I tried to measure out the same and I think I got it right but then it was time to add the deadener to it, which I think I added more than I should have, I didn't have time to let it set so I had to leave the studio with the piece half set and half not.  

When I got home I left my mould on the side to set as if it kept moving it would disrupt the mixture. It had been left to set for about 4 hours by the time I got round to looking at it again, I thought it would be okay to remove and it was apart from it was quite squishy from the deadener which made it a bit more difficult to get out so I just had to powder it more and make sure that the edges didn't fold over otherwise that would have been another big problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment