Wednesday 14 October 2015

Brave | Lesson 3

Moulding and Casting

In my lesson this week we learnt how to make the mould for our sculptures and then how to cast them. At first I was excited to learn how to create moulds this way as previously I have learnt the way by using a plaster mould which was a tedious, slow and messy process.

Once I did the first set of making the silicone I was comfortable and a lot more confident that I wouldn't get it wrong, however I will still be cautious when measuring out silicone A and silicone B as you should be because if that gets contaminated it will literally be the worst. During class this was a long process as there wasn't many scales to how many people there were, so this got me thinking that if I buy my own scales I won't have this problem of having to wait, also I will be able to work at home instead of having to rely on products and equipment supplied at university, I also feel like I can take longer for creating my hybrid moulds instead of rushing it in the four hours I get in class, like it wasn't a major deal having to wait for scales it was just a bit annoying that when one part of your mould was done, you couldn't move on to the next part straight away.

Finally it was time to go home although I really enjoyed this lesson by far the most so far, I felt exhausted and overwhelmed and a little bit stressed out at how much information I had taken in throughout those four hours. I know that it was the first time everyone was leaning this new thing and that we only have a short amount of time to learn all these techniques for them, I just feel like we were rushed and if we had longer on this project maybe split the lesson in half I wouldn't have been so exhausted or even make the lesson slightly longer to ensure everyone's near enough at the same place. I do know that Sue and Kat aren't there to baby sit us just to over look us and make sure we are going in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment